Common Household Items Can Be Poisonous To Pets

It can be easy to take our pets for granted, but we should always be aware of the dangers that they face. Not only are they family members, but pets also represent a valuable asset in the event of an emergency. That’s why it’s important to know about the many common household items that can be Poisonous To Pets. In this article, we’ll explore some of the most common items and how they can affect your pet. Be safe and keep your pet safe too!

Thousands of dogs and cats needlessly suffer and many die each year by accidental ingestion of household poisons, including pesticides, popular houseplants, medications and common foods.  The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, the only animal poison control center in North America offers advice to pet owners about the many household products that can be dangerous and even deadly to their four-legged family member.

Common Household Items Can Be Poisonous To Pets

  • Mothballs, potpourri oils, coffee grounds, homemade play dough, fabric softener sheets, dishwashing detergent, batteries, cigarettes, alcoholic drinks, pennies and hand and foot warmers could be dangerous for your pet.
  • Keep all prescription and over-the-counter medications out of your pets’ reach, preferably in closed/locked cabinets above the counter. Painkillers, cold medicines, antidepressants, vitamins and diet pills can be lethal to animals, even in small doses.
  • Read all of the information on the label before using a product on your pet or in your home.  If a product is for use only on dogs, it should never be used on cats; if a product is for use only on cats, it should never be used on dogs.
  • Be aware of the plants you have in your home and yard. The ingestion of azalea, oleander, sago palm or yew plant material by your pet can be fatal.  Easter lily, day lily, tiger lily and some other lily species can cause kidney failure in cats. 
  • Make sure your pets do not go on lawns or in gardens treated with fertilizers, herbicides or insecticides until they have dried completely. Always store such products in areas that are inaccessible to your pets. If you are uncertain about the usage of any product, ask the manufacturer and/or your veterinarian for instructions.
  • Be alert for antifreeze/coolant leaking from your vehicle. Animals are attracted to the sweet taste and ingesting just a small amount can cause an animal’s death.  Consider using animal-friendly products that use propylene glycol rather than those containing ethylene glycol.
  • When using rat, mouse, snail or slug baits, or ant or roach traps, place the products in areas that are inaccessible to your pet. Some bait contains sweet smelling inert ingredients, such as jelly, peanut butter or sugar that can attract your pets.
  • Call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (1-888-426-4435) if you suspect that your pet has ingested something poisonous.

Most of us have pets that often come in contact with poisonous household items. In case you don’t know, many household substances can be very dangerous for your pet if ingested. Among some of the common items that are toxic to dogs and cats include kitchen cleaners, antifreeze (pet type), tires, cleaning agents, rat poison, drain cleaner and even a hair dryer!

Let us know what other household products can be Poisonous To Pets in the comments section below!

Frequently Asked Questions

What are poisonous to pets?

Onions. Salt. tobacco items (including e-cigarettes and their refills) Xylitol (a sweetener included in items such as some sugar-free chewing gum, sugar-free sweets, cough syrup, mouthwash, and toothpaste) (a sweetener found in products such as some sugar-free chewing gum, sugar-free candy, cough syrup, mouthwash, and toothpaste)

What fruit is poisonous to pets?

Avoid: Grapes and raisins can damage your kidneys, while cherries are poisonous to cats and dogs. Persimmons and other citrus fruits like lemons, limes, and grapefruit might upset your stomach.

Is garlic poisonous to pets?

Garlic may be healthy for humans, but dogs digest some foods differently than humans. The Allium family, which includes garlic and other members like onions, contains thiosulfate, which is harmful to dogs but not to people, according to the Merck Veterinary Manual.

Leave a Comment